As the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic continues to unroll, the wave of postponement and cancellations of major global events increases, including those related to the United Nations global agendas.
By early March, the UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres stated that “It is essential that we reduce social contact to a minimum and follow the clear instructions of the World Health Organization to minimize the risks of transmitting the infection, […] The United Nations remains open for business. But our work will be done from different locations, using different technologies,”.
In this sense, preparation meetings for the High-level Political Forum, the UNFCCC COP 26 in Glasgow and the UN Biodiversity Conference COP15 have been postponed and under constant review to ensure their continuation and broad participation of all relevant stakeholders.
Please find below a list of the events postponed or cancelled so far
Events supported and/or organised by Regions4
- Workshop for Subnational, Regional and Local Government on their role in the CBD post-2020 Biodiversity Framework, 1-3 April – Postponed. Organisers are exploring with the CBD how to deliver the workshop as a consultative online process, over a longer period of time. Further information available soon.
- Regions4 2020 General Assembly, 1 June. Online event. Further information to come shortly.
- Agenda 2030: Transforming Regions, Changing the World, 24-25 June – Postponed to 2021. The possibility of hosting an online event on the initial dates is being evaluated and further updates will be communicated upon availability.
- 24th meeting of the Scientific, Technic and Technological Advice – SBSTTA 24, New Date: 17-22 August
- 3rd meeting of the Scientific Body on Implementation to the CBD – SBI 3, New Date: 24-29 August
- UNFCCC COP 26, 9-20 November – Postponed to 2021.
Other UN Events
- 2020 ECOSOC Forum on Financing for Development Follow-up (FFD Forum), 20-23 April – Postponed, new dates coming soon.
- Africa Climate Week, 20-24 April – Postponed, new dates coming soon.
- UN Ocean Conference, 2-6 June – Postponed, new dates coming soon.
- 52nd Sessions of the UNFCCC Subsidiary Bodies, New Dates: 4-12 October.
- UN Global Sustainable Transport Conference – Postponed
- Fifth edition of the Global Biodiversity Outlook – GBO-5, New Date: 15 August
New dates and further information will be updated on due course on our Events section.